Thursday, April 15, 2010

5). Review for a Play

I was most interested in seeing an opera. My favor play is The Phantom of the Opera, so I wanted to see an Opera. My boyfriend mentioned to me the Pittsburgh was hosting Carmen. I was intrigued, I remember seeing a tv show about Dorothy Dandgride and she played Carmen in a movie. I never saw the movie itself but it looked like something very interesting to watch. Dorothy's character seemed very free spirited. It seemed like no one could tie her down, not love, not anything. From what I remembered from the movie was that she was trying to seduce a cop that was taking her to jail? Anyways, I decided to go see the Opera, Carmen.
Carmen was composed by Georges Bizet and was based on a novel by Prosper Merimee. At the end of March of this year at the Benedum Center, my boyfriend bought us tickets on the balcony. I thought every seat showed a great view of the stage. There was a cast of amazing singers. Carmen was played by a woman named Kate Aldrich. When Carmen came out she was surrounded by men who loved her and left other girls in the dust. She said some things in French which translate into the most famous line from the movie, "Love is a rebellious bird that no one can tame." She warns men about her love but they just follow her in desperate need of her affection. She grows to lust for a man names Don Jose. A man named Roger Honeywell played Don. He ignores her unlike the other men. Don's character was in love with another woman and would marry her. however, when Don is ordered to take Carmen to prison, She seduces him as a way to escape.
Later, Carmen confesses that she is in love and ignores the swarm of men who flirt with her and surround her. Everything gets real musical and Carmen is dancing and gave Don a flower, but he didn't take it. Carmen stresses her love for freedom and it seemed like Don was going to go along with it but he would never leave his wife and family. A man named Zuniga, played by Liam Moran, comes looking for Carmen. Zuniga and Don were about to fight but a whole bunch of men came on and captured Zuniga. Don and Carmen flee the scene. Carmen's friends and Carmen go off with some officers and Don was left alone. He starts fighting people over Carmen, but she is bored with him. He was pretty boring. Don pleaded to her to run away with him, but she wasn't in love with him anymore. Then, Don kills her. She wanted to die free right?
The opera was interesting. I like plays better. However I thought the characters were amusing. I could relate to Carmen sometimes because she was a free spirit and got bored easily. I am very indecisive. She was kind of like most slutty girls who want attention and just want guys as her play things. The music was great I love music. I loved that music was a story in itself. Soloists were amazing. Dan Kempson's character Morales had a great voice I was moved.
The conductor's name was Antony Walker. There was a stage director, a set designer, costume designer, lighting, makeup designer, choreographer, accompanist, and stage managers. They have all the people who make plays feel real.
I loved the fact that it was in Georges Bizet's honor. I love that they keep carrying on his name with his version of the play because it was so great. He would have loved to see the success of the play. I don't think Carmen could have been any less then the character Bizet had in mind. She was perfectly seductive and free. We have boundaries as women. If we have the freedom Carmen had we would be labeled as sluts and worse. It's just unheard of for women to act outside of her expected nature. She changed her mind after making a man fall for her. We consider that as unacceptable. Men can do it. Women don't have the same freedom that men do. So I admire Carmen's character living her life as free as a bird. I really enjoyed the Opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment